15 November 2012

DAY 407: Interior Doors--In!!! Trim--Up!! It's looking more like a house!!


 After 407 days of work...this feels like a very fun part!  The foam is starting to look like a home!  But then, I look at it and there is still so much to do.  However, the end is in sight. 

Spencer and Ben installed all the interior doors, trimmed the doors and put up the window casings. These are the very same type of casings we had in our first home--the bungalow in downtown Provo. We are all about the simple, straight lines. 
 View of kitchen windows with casing...
 Our kitchen is fill with tools....
 And supplies....
Spencer and Ben started all the closets.  This one is the pantry...
 This is our closet...
After taking a close look at the trim, the cupboards, finish work, I realize that I have my work cut out for me this weekend.  I will be filling approximatey 4,375,302 tiny holes with oil putty.  Maybe I'll get a good book on tape or something.  This was the view out of our basement window...more supplies
Our siding crew used the back "deck" for cutting and prep work...
Nate and Mike working on a side corner.  The foam has been a little tricky.  It's kindof organic, we worked our hardest to make straight walls.  Nate and Mike have done an awesome job at making everything straight.  This morning I was checking out a spot where we had a big concrete blowout. At the time I wondered how we would ever fix it and that it wouldn't look "normal".    It is now covered with board and batten and you can't even tell that there was a problem.
 We'll work on painting the back of the house Saturday.  We're lucky because Nate is going to leave his ladder system for us to use.  We're also lucky because we still have temps in the 50's so we can paint. 
 Ta-dah and double ta-dah!  I am pleased with the way it looks!  Pleased is an understament--it's just as Brent and I hoped it would turn out.  These guys have been at it for about a month.  It's tideous work but it will be be-ah-uuu-ti-ful!  Nate said that the back of the house was the trickiest so the rest ought to be a bit smoother.  He thinks the board and batten/lap siding will be finished by next Tuesday or Wednesday.  Keep thinking I might become a little sentimental when I can't see the foam anymore, no wait, probably not.  It's time for the foam to do his job--INSULATE!!!!
On a final note...I have been touched by the number of people who express interest in our project and in us.  I have loved the visits from friends and family (and strangers who would like to know more about ICF).  People are just plain nice, kind and generous.  Thank you to all my friends who ask "how's the house" (even if I give you a glazed over look) and every kind word of encouragement that comes our way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment