14 May 2012

DAY 225: Name That Tool

If you are my age you will remember the game show "Name That Tune".  This morning I played my own version.  I was helping my Dad plant his vegetable garden.  One of his neighbors is doing some sort of home improvement project.  I could tell the difference between each of the tools he was using.  I laughed out loud when I heard a drill make a familiar noise as it drove a screw into a board.  I could tell that something wasn't right.  I then heard the grinder.  Which meant that the screw didn't go in right and it had to be ground down flat.  You know you are building your own house when noises play a picture in your head....

Saturday was another full day.  We met with an electrician who helped us walk through our project.  At noon the boys started threading wire through our home.  I had a chance to put in one of the electrical boxes.  Cole had done most of them.  But since it's a question I'm often asked, here is how a box works on an ICF wall.

First, you have to cut out the shape of the box.  That part is cinchy. Next, with a grinder a line must be made deep into the styrofoam to house the electrical wire. Here is a sample:

 Here I am using the grinder making the lines in the styrofoam for the wire:
 Here is a sample with the wire.  The wire will be packed deeply into the wall and will be covered with foam.
If it's not on an ICF wall the electrical looks like any other stick built house:

 I tried to lay out the kitchen in blue tape.  I'm trying to figure out if we have room to put in a desk on another wall.  We're not going to do it now, I just wondered if we have the space.  This is the island,
 This shows island and the end of the base cupboards:
 And on a final note....ta dah!  The window drama is OVER!  We have windows that match now!  It was a chore but we did it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment