06 October 2012

DAY 370: Dentil Work and Doors


In classical architecture a DENTIL (from Lat. dens, a tooth) is a small block used as a repeating ornament in the bedmould of a cornice. (yep, love Wikepedia today)


Cole showing off his dental work this afternoon (kidlettes played with googly eyes)...
But back to the dentil shelf...it took about four months to finally get our dentil shelf.  By no fault of Jones Paint and Glass, the door company insisted that they had attached and sent the dentil shelf.  It took Kris a few months to finally get it straightened out.  But YAY!  They installed the dentil shelf this week.  Which meant it was time to pick up some stain and paint.

At noon (after the first awesome session of General Conference.  I STILL can't believe that young women will be eligible to serve missions at 19.  WOW!  On a more personal note...my time with Cole has been potentially whittled down by six months.  I can't believe that he could leave on his mission right after High School graduation.  Double WOW!) we packed Estee into the trusty CNG Cavolier and ran to Provo.  It took more than an hour to get our 25 gallons of primer, stain, paper, tape, paint suits, rags, brushes, rollers and a 5 gallon of white paint.  But then we were off. Estee ended up with a footrest.
 With the second session of Conference playing on the radio we started taping up the doors. We went with a fiberglass door (actually more expensive) since it was solid (sing: solid as a rock...), won't warp, and is insulated.  That's the official explanation from Brent. 
There was a big learning curve with the first door.  How much stain, use a cloth or a brush, when was the stain too sticky?  We figured it out and by the second side of the door Brent and I had a system. 

(Can I just say "Wow, oh wow, I really need my hair done".  A friend warned me that as she built her house she went nuts watching her roots grow out.   It appears in this photo that I'm past the roots phase. I'm at the half-way grown out phase.  I need a free afternoon and some $ to magically appear and then I'll address the roots...)

Ta-Dah!  Love my front door and I love the dentil work! It will make a nice entrance into Our Concrete Home!
 Had to stain the side light panel also. 
Said "good-bye" to our concrete home around 5:30 pm.  The boys are off to the Priesthood session and the girls are on the run to PaRtY!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment