08 January 2013

Day 462: Granite

For as long as I can remember I wanted quartz counter tops.  I love the look of quartz, it's controlled, it's precise, and it's not busy. But as I have been shopping around I changed my tune.  I still LOVE quartz, but have discovered that it is much more expensive compared to granite.

As I visited one of the showrooms they pointed out  a fireplace with a quartz surround.  They fired up the gas stove for a fairly good period of time.  The quartz cracked.  Split from corner to edge.  The resin in the quartz couldn't take the heat.  This is a showroom that sells granite, quartz, all types of counter tops. They have nothing to gain by showing the problems with quartz.  It changed my mind about quartz.  We cook SO much as a family and we are generally tough on our counter tops, so granite it is.

My head is spinning with the choices. I still want something simple, controlled, not busy for the eye and one that will compliment the rest of the house.

The photos don't express at all the beauty of the stone or the lovely colors.  Of course the first slab I looked at and loved was more than three times our budget.  I guess I have good taste?  But here are a few samples within our budget:



This one above surprised me.  Surprised that I liked it.  It had such beautiful multiple colors and movement.  Everything I said that I wasn't looking for in a granite.  My most favorite slab is not here (this is Contempo Tile) but at Arizona Tile so I need to head up to SLC.  It's a beautiful white with burgandy, gray and black.

Looking at all the samples reminded me a favorite mission Souvenir from Switzerland.  My Tissot Rock Watch :
This is not my actual watch but mine is exactly like this.  It's in storage somewhere and I sure would love to get it working again.  It was such a huge deal in Europe in the 80's. Made of granite.  Maybe it's a sign...

We had to extend our loan again for 6 weeks (I actually just typed "years" which made me laugh). That January 5th deadline passed too quickly.  Oh well.  We still have much to do but getting the banister done was a huge huge huge accomplishment.  My yellow pad (reminds me of my Dad) "to do" list is filled.  Brent keeps his own list in his pocket in a Moleskine (his favorite, a love he passed on to Cole).  Every day we knock a few more things off our list!
On Saturday my friend Annette and her husband Alan dropped by.  I was on hands and knees filling baseboard holes with Crawford putty.  She was so energetic and complimentary (thanks Annette!) and said "It's changed so much since we have been here!"  I just remember responding doubtfully "Really?"  She visited a month ago.  It's nice that others can see big progress because sometime I feel like we're living the "Groundhog Day"  movie over and over and over.  But that's a great movie.....and this is a great concrete house!  

Off I go to tackle some more house tasks!



No comments:

Post a Comment