15 February 2012

DAY 136: Now you see it, now you don't (Bracing comes down)

On Valentine's day Brent and I discovered that the framers were planning to work on the main floor of the house the next day.  Problem: the entire floor was covered with bracing.  Now you see it:
 Now you don't:
 The picture above represents my Wednesday.  It took me about 9 hours to get it down.  Brent was able to come after work.  We had no choice:  it was me or the framing didn't get done the next day.

I am really going to miss not having a roof.  I hear and see the greatest things when I'm out working.  My favorite part of the day is always when a flock of birds flies overhead.  It's peaceful, calming, and beautiful.  It makes me wish I could fly. 

I've pretty much decided that building a house is a very messy adventure.  If we're not making something, we're always cleaning up.  All of our windows look like this:
Each window sill has a 5 inch hole.  The concrete is poured into that hole to fill below the window. After watching the process I don't believe there is a "slow" setting on the concrete pump.  Wow, messy, messy, messy.  I scooped a lot of wet concrete and the next day I scrapped a lot of dry concrete.  The dribbles come off with a little abrasive scrubbing.

I brought Maya over for a little bit.  She wasn't too excited about working "again" but when I said that she was going to knock concrete out of the planks she was excited.  The concrete fell out in fun smooth shapes from the planks.  She would laugh after some of the pieces fell out.
 And of course when I'm not looking it's self portrait time...
 The garage is plugging along.  Brent is going to LOVE his shop in the back and below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment